are Verizon and BU not on speaking terms?

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 10:30:13 EDT 2007

Seth Gordon wrote:
> From the browser in my office (Firefox on Debian etch), I can call up
> www.bu.edu.  From the browser at home (Firefox on Ubuntu Feisty), I
> can't get the Web page, even though I can ping and traceroute to the
> associated IP address.
>
> Does anyone know what could be going on here?  How would I even begin to
> diagnose/fix the problem?

You can always test basic connectivity by using telnet to connect to port 80
on www.bu.edu.  If that fails, then there's something blocking the port (even
though, as your ping and traceroute runs attest, there is an IP-level path to
the server).

If that works, try a different browser (ie elinks), and work your way up.  A
wild guess: flash is somehow your problem (either your plugin or an extension
that controls/limits flash).

Matt

believed to be clean.