are Verizon and BU not on speaking terms?

Rajiv Aaron Manglani rajiv-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 11:55:42 EDT 2007

>>  From the browser in my office (Firefox on Debian etch), I can call up
>>  www.bu.edu.  From the browser at home (Firefox on Ubuntu Feisty), I can't
>>  get the Web page, even though I can ping and traceroute to the associated
>>  IP address.

what about telnet to the ip address on port 80, or curl -I <url> ?

i have seen something similar and the culprit turned out to be
an interaction problem between having ECN (explicit congestion
notification) turned on in the kernel of my linux firewall and an older
cisco router at the target host. the router silently dropped all
"malformed" packets, that is, packets which had a non-0 value in
"reserved" bits in the tcp header. of course it was running an older
firmware version that had no details of the ECN bit.

believed to be clean.