Simple HDTV viewer?

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 12:33:15 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 12:06:08PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I recently learned QAM permits viewing of unencrypted HD channels from
> cable.   The 950 USB stick I got does not support that.   In light of
> the fact it doesn't do what I want, I was able to sell it to a co-worker.
>
> What are people's experiences with the LG OnAir GT?  It does support QAM,
> something I was looking for, and now know about.

How about an HDHomeRun?

- not a USB device -- it's an ethernet device
- no funky kernel drivers
- two tuners, which can independently be in QAM or OTA mode
- and can be accessed by two computers independently, or both to
  one.
- and an IR receiver at which you can point a remote control
- $130.

> How about such tuners on cable vs FIOS, if I wanted to watch HD channels
> on a PC in a den or other room and opt for FIOS?.

I hear VZ's FIOS provides QAM.

http://policyblog.verizon.com/policyblog/blogs/policyblog/czblogger1/269/fios-engineer-answers-your-questions-ii.aspx

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.

believed to be clean.