November BLU Installfest - comments?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 00:51:40 EDT 2007

On 9/4/07, John Abreau <jabr-iwcNaMm7aMIiq3RsQ1AnAw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Our next Installfest will be in November. I haven't scheduled it yet,
> because Bill Ricker pointed out recently that it would make sense
> to examine what other events are going on before picking a date.

The Northeast Electronics Swapmeet calendar
  http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/ne-fleas
has only 3 events listed in November, none "regional", all "local" but
not local here -- Cape, Western Mass, and NH, so no overlap from that
quarter.
[The big Regional show and MIT are the only ones a Cambridge
installfest should consider as potential source for computers thus
drain of installees. A W.MA installfest should consider N.CT and W.MA,
So.MA => So+E.MA, RI, if the show is known to carry goodly number of
used computers.]

The other major source for off-retail parters/system-pieces are the
"computer shows". The regular PC/KG Marlboro/Wakefield show closed
after 26 year run,  but two other series survive. Neither show seems
to be announcing that far in advance, and seems to hit somewhere
(most) every weekend, so no serious collision worry there.
  http://www.coganfairs.com/  CT-RI-W.MA
  http://www.ncshows.com/schedule.html E.MA-S.NH-ME
[These would also be good places to have any members attending drop
fliers in the previous month.]

> For the past few years I've scheduled them for the Saturday after
> the BLU meetings in February, May, August, and November.

Probably for 2008 not this year -- the idea I've voiced at last few
installfests and on the ubuntu-ma list --
   If we were to use a 3rd Sunday between April and October, we could
cooperate with Swapmeet  (perhaps on the NE instead SE side of MIT,
bldgs 34-38-36), or some other place over there. Cheap parts readily
available to installfest, installers readily available to  new-to-me
systems purchasers.
   Is Sunday doable? (For some folks, Saturday is sabbath.) 3rd Sunday
is sometimes before, sometimes after 3rd Wednesday. Could pick month
in 2008/4..8 such that 3rd Sunday is after 3rd Weds?
   We could do Saturday AFTER MIT on our "normal" schedule, if there
is any month 2008/4..8  where 3rd Sunday BEFORE  3rd Wednesday?
  I'd be happy to liaise with the MIT Swapmeet team.

> What other events in November does everyone feel we should
> consider before deciding on the date? I plan on scheduling it
> for Saturday, November 24, unless there's a specific reason to
> avoid that date.

That's *several* weeks after the last MIT flea market. I'd suggest
earlier in November, and handing out several fliers to everyone
selling older computers at MIT on Oct.21, for them to give to anyone
who wants Linux for the "new" boxen.

I *should* have a priority meeting on Nov.3rd, but otherwise am
currently clear in Nov, excepting holidays.

> Thanksgiving is on November 22, but I don't believe that's a problem.
> What does everyone else think?

Well, some volunteers and some potential installers may have
long-weekend family obligations. Certainly I'd rather be at an
installfest than a mall that day, but those aren't the only choices. I
don't know my availability for so soon after such a major holiday yet.

[Yes, Thanksgiving is a major holiday for some of us.]

--
Bill
n1vux-WYrOkVUspZo at public.gmane.org bill.n1vux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.