feed the recruiters?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 16:05:17 EDT 2007

Not all recruiters are bad.  In fact, over the last four months, I
dealt with close to 50 of them if you can believe it.  Some went as
far as to send me nice cards in the mail with a hand-written note.
Others didn't even remember who I was even after speaking to them a
few times previously.  One of the first recruiters I spoke with didn't
have any idea what constitutes a "security-related" position, as he
responded with "i know you want a secure job".

/me smacks forehead

However, this was not always the case.  I spoke to a few guys who had
been in the field for a long time, and even when we started getting
into gory details about what I like to do, they could keep up and even
knew some of the researchers behind the work.  So, it's really hit or
miss.  If you are going to speak to a recruiter, make sure they know
what they are talking about first.  Ask other people about their
company.  See if they work closely with any buzzing startups.  If
those startups have premiere VC funding (Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins,
etc), then you can be fairly certain that such companies won't work
with just any recruiting company.  These are usually smart guys, and
they won't be happy if they get placed with a mere "warm body".

This is just my experience.  YMMV.  Yada yada yada ...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.