Hard Drive Recovery Service?

Tom Metro blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 16:53:00 EDT 2007

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> ...I needed to actually remove the platters and swap them!  I have
> never done this before, and I always hear people saying "YOU CAN'T DO
> THAT, THE PLATTERS WILL BE DESTROYED!!!".  Well, I rendered an
> attempt.

It certainly won't destroy the platters, but the drive is hosed.

I researched this a few years back while trying to recover data from a
failed drive, and the problem with disassembling a multi-platter drive
is that the servo tracks need to be precisely aligned across the
multiple platters. At the factory, this is accomplished by writing the
servo tracks after the drive is assembled. Once you've taken it apart,
it's essentially impossible to reassemble and get to it work.

Of course the limiting factor here is really the controller firmware in
the drive. You can get around this limitation by using specialized
electronics/firmware that drive recovery services have. They have the
ability to pull data off a raw platter.

But by disassembling the drive, which apparently showed no symptoms of
mechanical problems, you made the recovery process significantly more
difficult, and thus more expensive.

Sorry for your loss. :-) Had you posted to the list prior to
disassembly, we might have been able to save you some time/money.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA