Hard Drive Recovery Service?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 22:44:26 EDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You make the key point - did you ever make a backup?   I can't tell you
> how many times I've seen people lose critical data - thesis, critical item
> for a project, etc.  The ONLY copy is on their failed hard drive.

That ***WAS*** the backup!!!  Hehehe...

> There are simply some things that are too valuable.   I captured the audio
> from when my parents visited a long-lost cousin of my dad whom he hadn't
> seen in 30+ years.   I gave them a microcassette recorder, they recorded
> the get-together, gave me back the recorder, and I captured it to an mp3
> file.  For the heck of it, I saved a copy of the file to a USB stick.
>
> I then issued an accidental rm (on an EXT3 fs) and learned, due to
> journeling, the file was likely gone.  I recalled I had a copy on USB
> stick and simply copied it back over.   That isn't research I can recall
> or recreate.

Good save.  Yeah, I have heard that Google's solution is not to do
RAID/mirroring/LVM or any cool stuff like, but to save off a copy so
that there are always at least three copies of the data at any point
in time, presumably in very separate physical or logical locations.
Good to follow the guys who do it best :-P

> I, like many others on the list, have learned of Mitnik, and can
> appreciate your desire to get that picture back.

I found a sign of life!  I backed up one copy in 2004 on the domain I
used to own!!

http://ww.wmicrosoft.com/img/mitnick.jpg
http://web.archive.org/web/20040404233412/http://wmicrosoft.com/

If anyone can find the actual pic, I will truly be grateful.  It seems
archive.org did not save it?!?!?!?!?
Arrrrrggggggvvvvvvvvvv__dumbbbbbbbb___CCCCCCC___referenceeeee!!!

> How did you meet him?  I'd like to learn of that history.

I went to a book signing and me and the CMA2600 crew snagged some pics
together with him.  We met briefly a few times at conferences, but
surely he chats with lots of people.  Coincidentally, one of my new
co-workers claims to know him personally (his number is in his cell
phone), and he served on the HOPE conference "social engineering"
panel with Mitnick in 2000.  I think there is a video somewhere of
this, but I could only find an MP3...

> This list, along with bblisa.org, and often the distro-based lists (i.e.
> Ubuntu or CentOS) have been keys for me in getting out of jams.  Some
> great knowledge all around.

Thanks for the link...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen