Hard Drive Recovery Service?

Scott Ehrlich scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 22:13:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> On 9/7/07, Tom Metro <blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Sorry for your loss. :-) Had you posted to the list prior to
>> disassembly, we might have been able to save you some time/money.
>
> Well, errr .....shit   :-(
>
> I have this awesome picture from the first time I met Kevin Mitnick
> and I am giving him "bunny ears" while he sits obliviously posing for
> the camera.   I think it was 2002.  That's really the only pic I
> wanted to salvage.  I don't know if it's worth $2000!!!

You make the key point - did you ever make a backup?   I can't tell you
how many times I've seen people lose critical data - thesis, critical item
for a project, etc.  The ONLY copy is on their failed hard drive.

There are simply some things that are too valuable.   I captured the audio
from when my parents visited a long-lost cousin of my dad whom he hadn't
seen in 30+ years.   I gave them a microcassette recorder, they recorded
the get-together, gave me back the recorder, and I captured it to an mp3
file.  For the heck of it, I saved a copy of the file to a USB stick.

I then issued an accidental rm (on an EXT3 fs) and learned, due to
journeling, the file was likely gone.  I recalled I had a copy on USB
stick and simply copied it back over.   That isn't research I can recall
or recreate.

I, like many others on the list, have learned of Mitnik, and can
appreciate your desire to get that picture back.

How did you meet him?  I'd like to learn of that history.

> Thanks for your thorough analysis.  I understand now, posthumously,
> why it is a bad idea to separate the platters.  That makes perfect
> sense, and now I am wondering how the hell they are going to fix this
> one if I send it in.  Again, thank you for the insight :-)
> --

This list, along with bblisa.org, and often the distro-based lists (i.e.
Ubuntu or CentOS) have been keys for me in getting out of jams.  Some
great knowledge all around.

Scott