Comcast, TiVO, MythTV, and cable cards

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 09:46:44 EDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 08:29:32AM -0400, Doug wrote:
> I was thinking a bit about digital recording options over a 5 year
> period.  Comcast has the DVR box in the house under the TV.  It will
> cost $14/month, or $840 over 5 years.
>
> If I get a TiVO, their middle of the line box is $300, with about $500
> in yearly fees over 5 years, so $800 again.
>
> I certainly have enough computers hanging around the house, and bought
> a hauppauge card.  Do I need to get a comcast cable card, or can I
> just hook it up?  I recall seeing on slashdot that the free video list
> guide is going away, and a new $10 service is taking its place.  That
> would make MythTV go for $600 over five years.  Cheapskates must be
> working hard to avoid this cost.

There are no Linux solutions for CableCard. If you have an
NTSC recording card, you can hook it to a cable box and use an
IR blaster or serial line to change the channels.

Tribune Media Service discontinued free TV listings. You can get
listings from other sources, including a nonprofit org called
SchedulesDirect, which is currently charging $15 for three
months ($5/month, not 10) and believes that it will be able to
lower the price, possibly to as low as $20/year.

You really ought to read the MythTV users list...

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.

believed to be clean.