Comcast, TiVO, MythTV, and cable cards

Tom Metro blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 19:39:39 EDT 2007

Doug wrote:
> I was thinking a bit about digital recording options over a 5 year
> period.  Comcast has the DVR box in the house under the TV.  It will
> cost $14/month, or $840 over 5 years.
>
> If I get a TiVO, their middle of the line box is $300, with about $500
> in yearly fees over 5 years, so $800 again.
>
> I certainly have enough computers hanging around the house, and bought
> a hauppauge card.  Do I need to get a comcast cable card, or can I
> just hook it up?

As Dan pointed out, due to licensing restrictions, there are no hardware
solutions for Linux that use a Cable Card.

Generally, based on what I've read on the mythtv-users list and
elsewhere, TiVO + Cable Card or a cable company provided DVR are your
only options if you want reliable recording of Hi-Def, non-broadcast
programming. Sometimes you can use a digital tuner card, though usually
not for non-broadcast hi-def, and sometimes you can record from the
Firewire output from the cable provided set-top-box.

Even standard definition digital-only channels can be a challenge to
obtain reliably. Basically you're at the mercy of the cable company who
can choose to scramble channels or disable the Firewire output, and none
of their customers except the few using home-brew DVRs will complain, so
they get away with it.

For standard def. analog there are a few options, such as recoding from
the analog output of the set-top-box, or directly tuning the channels
with an analog tuner card. Standard def. digital channels can also be
recorded via the set-top-box's analog output, though obviously as an
analog signal. And in some cases you can avoid the need for an "IR
blaster" by using Firewire to change channels.

The best hope to remedy this situation is a swift transition to IPTV
where content providers are independent of - and not gatewayed by - the
cable operators. Then we'll just need to worry about net neutrality. And
fear that some Microsoft-invented, DRM loaded technology becomes the
standard for IPTV.

> I recall seeing on slashdot that the free video list
> guide is going away, and a new $10 service is taking its place.

Just to add to what Dan said, there has also been talk on the
MythTV-users list of a few free sources for TV listings, though if
Schedules Direct achieves it's $20/year target, it'll be the least
effort solution.

> That would make MythTV go for $600 over five years.  Cheapskates must be
> working hard to avoid this cost.

If you want cheap, I don't recommend MythTV. You'll end up spending more
on hardware than you planned - even if you repurpose existing hardware.
After you've seen the benefits of it, you'll be even more willing to
spend more money for more disks. And then there are ongoing costs for
electricity and time for maintenance.

If you want cheap, rent a cable company DVR. If you want the power to
customize your DVR, go for Myth. (If you go with Myth, chances are
you'll also be better positioned to deal with the IPTV revolution.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA