Pickin' a processor

Tom Metro blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 20:35:21 EDT 2007

David Kramer wrote:
> I'm gearing up to build a new server to replace my existing one.
> So what advice can you give me?

While the advice you'll get on this list is useful, there's no
substitute for doing some primary research using hardware review sites
like Anand's Hardware Tech Page[1], Tom's Hardware Guide[2], and
countless others.

The information changes too often, so unless the person giving you their
opinion has done the research themselves within the last 3 months, I'd
take it with a grain of salt.

Start by researching CPUs in your price range, then move on to
compatible motherboard recommended by the sites. Finally, I'd confirm
the lab reviews with end-user reviews at a merchant site like NewEgg[3].

1. http://www.anandtech.com/
2. http://www.tomshardware.com/
3. http://www.newegg.com/

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Wikipedia is your friend.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors
> tells you that you need at least a "Windsor" stepping to get the hardware
> virtualization feature.

Or a more specific page listing which Intel and AMD CPUs support
hardware virtualization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Intel_VT_.28IVT.29

It says, regarding AMD CPUs:

   AMD-V is present in all K8 AMD (Athlon 64) processors from stepping
   "F" and all newer processors support AMD-V technology. This applies
   for all current Socket AM2 and Socket F processors.

"Current" is a relative term, and probably not a good choice for a
Wikipedia article that'll stick around for years. By as long as you're
looking at new CPUs, it answers the question.

> I still think AMD gives more bang for the buck.

Per my disclaimer above, I haven't researched CPUs since the Fall of
2006, but at that time, Intel was way ahead. And thus I bought my first
Intel CPU since perhaps the late 80's, or early 90's.

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> However, I find now that it is easier to just buy a cheap system from
> Dell, rather than dealwith the hassle of finding the right parts,
> etc.  Much easier to just pay them to build it for you.  And if
> anything goes wrong, you're supported!

Dell provides support? :-)  The people I know who own them might say
differently.

If you want a built system, I'd recommend going with a local whitebox
vendor, if you can find one that's good. (I no longer recommend PCs for
Everyone, and haven't done business with them in several years.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA