Pickin' a processor

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 20:55:02 EDT 2007

On 9/9/07, Tom Metro <blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> While the advice you'll get on this list is useful, there's no
> substitute for doing some primary research using hardware review sites
> like Anand's Hardware Tech Page[1], Tom's Hardware Guide[2], and
> countless others.

I read Tom's Hardware for years.  I try not to keep up with that stuff
anymore, because as you stated, it changes too quickly.  Now, when I
am about to purchase something, I start doing research again.  But
even with such research, you're basing your analysis on "features"
that you have not tested personally, so it is not a science.  It's
more like shopping and rationalizing.  Sometimes you find out later
that you bought some crap, and you lose...eat your loss :-)

> Per my disclaimer above, I haven't researched CPUs since the Fall of
> 2006, but at that time, Intel was way ahead. And thus I bought my first
> Intel CPU since perhaps the late 80's, or early 90's.

ymmv, but if you are basing it on price, I know that AMD was far ahead
of similar Intel CPUs for a long time.  Now with x86-64, AMD are
pioneers.  Intel dropped the ball on x86_64...

> Dell provides support? :-)  The people I know who own them might say
> differently.

Yeah, I know.  Dell support is bad, but I mean if the PC breaks right
after you buy it, they will take it back or replace it.  newegg has a
great return policy too...

> If you want a built system, I'd recommend going with a local whitebox
> vendor, if you can find one that's good. (I no longer recommend PCs for
> Everyone, and haven't done business with them in several years.)

My boss seems to really like doing business with HiQ.  in fact, my
desktop workstation is a powerhorse, and was made by HiQ.  It is a
dual quad-core XEON x86_64, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD SATA, etc,
etc...screams!!!
http://www.hiq.com/
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen