Drobo - external USB RAID enclosure

Tom Metro blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 04:13:25 EDT 2007

I saw Drobo:
http://www.drobo.com/

an external USB RAID enclosure for SATA drives, mentioned on the
mythtv-users list.

Being USB, not very high performance (slower than a simple USB drive),
and limited to using NTFS or HFS file systems, I didn't find it that
interesting initially, but on further reading it has a few unique features.

One minor feature is the enclosure, as pictured here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/page3.html
  and here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/index.html

It's small for a 4-bay enclosure, with a sharp appearance, and uses
trayless drive bays. I've hunted around for a similar enclosure for
building a NAS and have yet to see anything nearly as nice on the
commodity market. (I did however eventually find trayless SATA bays.)

But the big deal about Drobo is the automated array management. It
doesn't require disks of matching size. It doesn't require a certain
number of disk (though obviously more than one for redundancy). If you
pull out a disk, it automatically reconfigures the array to work without
it. If you add a disk or replace a disk with a disk of larger capacity,
it automatically reconfigures the array to make use of the additional space.

This is discussed here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/page2.html#the_promise_automated_data_safety_without_configuration_hassles
   and here:
http://origin.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/storage-robot-at-your-service-a-review-of-the-drobo.ars/2

On top of that, this dynamic rebuilding of the array supposedly has
minimal impact on the performance of the unit. Apparently there is a
video on the manufacturer's site demonstrating how playback of a movie
trailer is unaffected by pulling a drive and triggering a rebuild. This
was confirmed by one of the review sites (bottom of the page):

http://origin.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/storage-robot-at-your-service-a-review-of-the-drobo.ars/3

The ability to stream a video doesn't really say that much. While that
has a nice wow factor for a demo, a far more interesting test wold have
been to repeat the benchmarks that review site collected while the
rebuild was in progress.

It's also fairly easy to "cheat" at this by giving the rebuild really
low priority, but according to the review site, the rebuilds seemed to
happen in fairly reasonable time frames (70 minutes to recover from the
removal of a 320 GB drive). Although the site makes no mention of what
load was put on the array during the rebuild and how full the array was.
(The other review mentions that briefly removing and replacing a 300 GB
drive resulted in the software reporting that it would need 4 hours to
rebuild, but they didn't report how long it actually took.)

(As a comparison, my just under 1 TB RAID5 array on my MythTV system
used to be unusable for video playback during the monthly maintenance
rebuild of the array, and the rebuild took 4 or 5 hours. Since tweaking
the speed_limit_min parameter for the MD driver, which controls the
minimum amount of array bandwidth given to a rebuild when the array is
in use, it's now sluggish, but usable. I haven't timed how long the
rebuilds now take. I assume even longer.)

In any case, I'm wondering what's under the hood of the Drobo (OS, CPU,
etc.) and how it pulls off its automated array management.

According to:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/06/27/meet_drobo/page7.html
the OS is VXWorks. It also mentions how the storage is chopped up into
logical drives, which are then allocated across the physical drives, as
you'd expect.

And I'm wondering how the equivalent could be built with open source
software.

I've been pondering the idea of an open source NAS project, where the
emphasis of the project would be more on the hardware and integration,
rather than the software, which would likely be FreeNAS or something
similar, though probably tweaked. I'm waiting for Sun's ZFS, which could
go a long way towards making some of the above features possible, to
become available in FreeNAS. It hasn't trickled down from FreeBSD yet.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA