Wierd VMWare behavior

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 15:09:00 EDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:28:49 -0400
"Kristian Erik Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 9/13/07, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Again, I fail to see why this would cause VMWare to report a permission
> > error. I certainly can see other errors.
>=20
> The default location for VMware Server images is in:
> /var/lib/vmware-server/Virtual\ Machines/
>=20
> Ensure that your user has RWX access to this directory and also that
> your virtual machine is NOT marked as "private" in the VMX file (you
> can change this in the GUI)...

I did this yesterday. But, even without this, at home my userid was
able to power on the VM. And, at home I can run it fine.=20

Another interesting thing I am researching is that when I log out of
either user id, the Ubuntu Gnome GUI simply gives me a black screen, and
does not repond to ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-fn. I don't see
anything strange yet in the logs. I was able to ssh into the laptop,
but I was not able to kill the X server or GDM.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9