Motherboard stupidity of the day

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 15 01:51:46 EDT 2007

So I'm shopping for a motherboard, now that I picked the processor.
Gotta support Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz fsb, at least one real COM port, NO
onboard video, and somewhat sane layout.

So I find this board that looks great.  It's the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3.
Googling for reviews, I find
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/406
which contains:

"It is very important to notice that the single ATA/133 port available
on this motherboard is controlled by the JMicron chip, not by the
chipset. This means that if you still have a parallel IDE optical drive
it will only be recognized on Windows after you install the “Gigabyte
SATA2” driver. The problem is that this driver comes on the motherboard
CD-ROM, and you won’t be able to install it, as the system does not
recognize your optical drive. You can download the driver from the net,
however the driver for the on-board LAN port is also on the CD-ROM… The
only option you have is to copy the JMicron driver from the CD to a
floppy disk or a USB pen drive using another PC. This problem happens
not only with this motherboard from Gigabyte, but also with all other
motherboards based on Intel P965 chipset we’ve seen to date. Of course
if you have a SATA optical drive you won't face this issue."

My research so far is inconclusive whether this mobo will have problems
with a recent distro (part because so many of the reported problems are
from overclockers, and partly because it seems like there's been quite a
few versions of this board), but.....

How do you make a motherboard that Windows can't access IDE devices

(posted for humor value.  The above is a rhetorical question)

believed to be clean.