serial H/W flow control -- a fairy tale?

R. Luoma nobluspam5476-MTb9uo0rH9eJIAd+swBSYQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 15 18:56:47 EDT 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:24:49 -0400
Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Check the pinouts first. I've found that many RS232 (9 or 25 pin)
> jacks don't actually have those pins connected. Check the cable too.

I have used the appropriate control register to make sure that the UART
can set the voltages on the appropriate pins (on both systems).

I have also "buzzed" out the cable to make sure that it is set up
to do full hardware handshaking.

> The stty and setserial commands should be able to set the appropriate
> characteristics.

Well, actually I have used the appropriate system function (tcsetattr and
cfsetispeed andcfsetospeed for the baud rate),
but that should be equivalent to the effect of stty.

> Additionally, the serial driver also needs to be able
> to set these things.

So I would like to resolve whether the serial driver
for the 2.4.31 kernel is correct.  From "printk" statements
that I have inserted in the kernel, I think that it is doing
the right thing, but I must admit the the documentation
on the internet is confusing.

Hence this email thread.

I would still like some sort of hardware flow control tester.
Them must exist, but where?

--
R. Luoma

believed to be clean.