Motherboard stupidity of the day

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 00:18:06 EDT 2007

Jonathan D. Arnold / Daemon Dancing wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>> How do you make a motherboard that Windows can't access IDE devices
>> with???!!!?!
>
> Well, this is just plain *wrong*. This is exactly the motherboard I have,
> and I have a plain jane IDE DVD-RW drive and it installed Fedora 7, openSUSE
> 10.3 beta 3 and Windows XP just fine. I had a problem with openSUSE 10.2
> but the workaround documented here:
>
> http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/

Why do you say it's wrong?  Sounds like it's spot on.  The article said
Windows would have a problem with this board, and you haven't said
anything to the contrary.  In fact, you did a problem with one distro,
though you were able to get around it.  I'm glad you did, and I also
thank you for the link.

> in the section "The "CD not found" error", which does mention the jmicron
> controller. Basically, you have to enable the jmicron driver at boot time.

This board is off the "Naughty" list and back on the "Nice" list.

> So far I like the board. My only real complaint is no Firewire, but I don't
> really use it. Also, it only has connections for 2 IDE drives, which is
> kind of limiting. I hope to get my post describing my home brew computer
> building up soon on Linux Brain Dump.

Yeah, lots of comments on the one IDE slot, and the fact that it's so
far down on the board that a lot of people had to find longer cables or
move their drive down.

I expect if I get this board, it would finally push me towards SATA, at
least for the big honkin' data drive (or two) for MythTV, etc.

Thanks again.

believed to be clean.