Motherboard stupidity of the day

Jonathan D. Arnold / Daemon Dancing jdarnold-Xst6pqGrDNhg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 14:59:37 EDT 2007

David Kramer wrote:
> Jonathan D. Arnold / Daemon Dancing wrote:
>> David Kramer wrote:
>>> How do you make a motherboard that Windows can't access IDE devices
>>> with???!!!?!
>>
>> Well, this is just plain *wrong*. This is exactly the motherboard I have,
>> and I have a plain jane IDE DVD-RW drive and it installed Fedora 7,
>> openSUSE
>> 10.3 beta 3 and Windows XP just fine. I had a problem with openSUSE 10.2
>> but the workaround documented here:
>>
>> http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/
>
> Why do you say it's wrong?  Sounds like it's spot on.  The article said
> Windows would have a problem with this board, and you haven't said
> anything to the contrary.  In fact, you did a problem with one distro,
> though you were able to get around it.  I'm glad you did, and I also
> thank you for the link.

But I didn't have any problem with Windows. It installed XP just fine.

>> So far I like the board. My only real complaint is no Firewire, but I
>> don't
>> really use it. Also, it only has connections for 2 IDE drives, which is
>> kind of limiting. I hope to get my post describing my home brew computer
>> building up soon on Linux Brain Dump.
>
> Yeah, lots of comments on the one IDE slot, and the fact that it's so
> far down on the board that a lot of people had to find longer cables or
> move their drive down.

Yup, I had that problem too, especially in the first case I installed it in,
an older, very tall tower. But most new MBs seem to come with only one IDE
slot these days.

> I expect if I get this board, it would finally push me towards SATA, at
> least for the big honkin' data drive (or two) for MythTV, etc.

Yup, that's what I did. I picked up a 250gb SATA with the rest of the parts.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold-Xst6pqGrDNhg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org)
Linux Brain Dump - Linux Notes, HOWTOs and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/

believed to be clean.