Photo Server Software?

Don Levey lug-TwWeWiF2EGRi+ztankeudA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 14:53:57 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Don Levey <lug-TwWeWiF2EGRi+ztankeudA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I tend to use Gallery2 (http://gallery.menalto.com/) though I'm not sure
>> its performance is the best.  It handles many albums (with
>> customization), comments, video, and is often embedded into other solutions.
>
> Hmm!  Gallery2 certainly looks like an interesting app.  It has
> a bunch of the features I'm looking for like intermediate image
> sizes, auto-rotation based on EXIF headers, etc.  How well does
> it work with albums with 100s of pics?  For example I just downloaded
> 650 pics from my camera from a 5-week trip.  I broke them down manually
> into about a dozen categories (based on time frames and locations).
> I probably have a few thousand photos up already that I'd want to
> transfer over eventually.

I don't think I have any single album with multiple hundreds of
pictures; I tend to break them down into categories for easier
navigation.  In your instance, assuming a relatively even distribution
over 12 categories 650 pictures would come out to only 50-60 pictures
per category/album.  Since you can create nested sub-albums that
shouldn't be too much of a problem.

For example, here's my main URL:
http://www.the-leveys.us:6080/main.php

>From there, the bottom-center album (events, vacations, etc) has as its
last enter my recent trip to Barcelona (with 6 subalbums), which brings
us to 3 layers deep.  That trip ended up with 328 reasonably usable shots.

 -Don