Moving from Centos to Fedora 9

Derek Atkins warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 14 09:44:17 EDT 2008

Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 09/13/2008 06:37 PM, David Kramer wrote:
>> <Rocket J. Squirrel>That trick NEVER works!</Rocket J. Squirrel>
>>
>> The worst part about trying a stunt like that is that even if it
>> "works", you won't know if it worked cleanly til you've done stuff that
>> exercises all the libraries and executables you normally rely on.
>>
>> My policy has *always* been to back up to external hard drive (sometimes
>> only directories with config/data and not binaries), reformat, and
>> install from scratch.  I tried version upgrades two or three times, and
>> it caused me heartache each time.
>>
>> Now the biggest issue I have is config file formats changing, for the
>> most part.
>>
> <Bullwinkle>I've tested upgraded on SuSE as well as Ubuntu, and
> upgrades between adjacent releases usually go ok</Bullwinkle>
>
> The downside of upgrade installs is that some software that may have
> been previously installed may still hang around and could no longer
> work because of library incompatibilities. While I keep my /usr/local,
> in the past I always would rebuild claws-mail and its dependencies.

I've had success in doing upgrade installs, and I've even jumped
fedora releases.  I jumped from FC3 -> FC5 without any major
issues.  I think when I migrated to F7 I had a new machine so
I started over.  I plan to upgrade to F9 but I've been waiting
to find the time where I can have a week to make sure everything
all works.

I've got a 320GB drive in my system, so backing up my data takes
an awful long time.

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available