Moving from Centos to Fedora 9

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 14 20:54:02 EDT 2008

I've stuck with [K]ubuntu probably more than any previous distro. I've
used historical RedHat, mandrake, S.u.S.E. slackware, CentOS, REHE3/4/5
and a few others I forget.

(You probably know the following, but for the benefit of the casual reader
looking for advice.)

I strongly suggest creating a separate home partition (if on another
drive, all the better.) That way changing distros is merely installing the
base system on a partition, and mounting your home.

IMHO, it is more of a hassle to switch desktops than it is to switch
distros. In my experience, KDE settings and customizations more generally
migrate from distro to distro and upgrade better. below that, the core
distro generally do what it is supposed to. I spend more type customizing
my environment than I do configuring the OS.

If you want a recommendation on a distro, I've had the best user
experience thus far in my Linux journey with Kubuntu. We've come a long
way since 1995.