Signing Keys

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 18 12:02:11 EDT 2008

Since we had the keysigning party last night, I just want to mention a
few things about how to sign someone else's key.
First, make sure the key is in your keyring:
gpg --recv-keys <key id>

Once the key is in your keyring, then edit and sign the key:
gpg --edit-key <key-id>
Then select all the UIDs to sign and enter sign.
then quit

You might want to use the --list-keys option to check your signature.

If everything is ok, then DO NOT upload this to a keyserver. Instead
create an ASCII copy of the key and email it to the key owner:

gpg --export -a <key-id> > <file name of key>

For more details there are a lot of excellent howtos. I generally prefer to

Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846