"enterprise" drives

Mark J. Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 21:50:25 EDT 2008

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:

> Despite capacity, what are people's thoughts on the newer solid state
> drives?

I like the lack of moving parts for mobile use, but I'm concerned about
the limited number of write cycles; I don't think they would work well
for most server applications. (They might be okay for a read-mostly
server, as web servers often are.) You have to turn off most logging or
do logging to something other than flash (RAM disk with battery backup,
say) and disable utime on the file systems, or else you will wear out a
solid state drive VERY quickly.