"enterprise" drives

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 22:47:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 09:50:25PM -0400, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> >
> > Despite capacity, what are people's thoughts on the newer solid state
> > drives?
>
> I like the lack of moving parts for mobile use, but I'm concerned about
> the limited number of write cycles; I don't think they would work well
> for most server applications. (They might be okay for a read-mostly
> server, as web servers often are.) You have to turn off most logging or
> do logging to something other than flash (RAM disk with battery backup,
> say) and disable utime on the file systems, or else you will wear out a
> solid state drive VERY quickly.

On the one hand, Intel claims that their smart wear-levelling
system will extend the native 10,000 cycle lifetime to "5 years
at 100GB written per day" for their 80GB SSD.

On the other hand, I haven't spec'd them for indexing disks on
my database servers, even though the performance boost should be
pretty amazing... maybe two more Moore's Law cycles and they'll
be worth the risk.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.