hard drive burn-in

Jack Coats jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 16:29:55 EDT 2008

SpinRite has been my favorites over the years.  Nothing else really
compares on a level I am willing
to pay for.  SMART is good to use if you have drives that support it,
but you have to monitor it.

None of this removes the need for good and regular backups, that are
tested occasionally.
I can give you the whole disaster recovery preparedness talk, but we
have all heard it before, so
it is included here by reference.  And keeping DR backups is different
than 'awe darn, I erased a file
can you get it back for me' daily backups.  DR backups are meant to be
whatever it takes to keep
the company from going out of business.

Most new drives I use, I do not test, more than a good format.  Yes, I
get bit on occasion, but
these are on my time now days, when I did it for a bank full time, just
the process of building an
array over them did a pretty good job, and most of the drives there were
in large arrays.
3 drive raid is a waste IMHO, use at least 5 to get proper redundancy /
price / performance
even with a good hardware controller.  Software RAID is OK, but proper
hardware is preferred
for critical stuff.  AND it MUST be monitored.  Email/page with problems
immediately was
my suggested method.  We did have some non-critical we checked by eye
twice a day, but if they
went down no one lost a paycheck.  I like the concept of RAID-6 (really
raid5 with two parity tracks)
or at least raid-5 with a hot or a spare that can be brought online
automatically.

For boot drives, mirroring, again monitored and tested, works well (for
raid fanatics, that is RAID-1)

I hope this helped a little.