LVM/RAID recovery question

Rich Braun richb-RBmg6HWzfGThzJAekONQAQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 20:09:50 EDT 2008

Answering my own question after this error message:
>  Physical Volume "/dev/sda2" not found in Volume Group "system"

Recording this here for the benefit of others...some of this is not obvious in
the online HOWTOs:

To write the LVM superblocks to the new RAID device, you need to:

 pvcreate -ff /dev/md5

Ignoring the following scary-looking warning:

 Can't initialize physical volume "/dev/md5" of volume group "system" without -ff

Then in order to commence the move, and get around the confusing-looking
output of pvdisplay that I wrote earlier, you have to:

 vgextend system /dev/md5

That prepares the new disk with a RAID partition for your move:

 pvmove /dev/sda2 /dev/md5

Then you can go off and come back a few hours later.  Hopefully this corrects
the problem I have had with this system.  (Well, at least one of the problems.
 I'm using consumer-grade everything and having heaps of troubles with failed
hard drives, weak power supplies, etc.  It's bad enough at work with
enterprise-grade everything, you wonder what's happened with mfg quality these
days.)

-rich