LVM/RAID recovery question

Rich Braun richb-RBmg6HWzfGThzJAekONQAQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 20:30:16 EDT 2008

Revisiting the system since my last post, I managed to COMPLETELY hose the
system.  I finished the pvmove (which involves a vgreduce, pvremove, and mdadm
--add command to put the disk array back together).

But after the system completed all the above (about 15 hours of runtime, all
unattended except for a minor poke this morning), the reboot gives me:

  Volume group "system" not found
  Could not find /dev/system/volroot
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while
  No volume groups found

This repeats a few dozen times and then gives a prompt:

  Want me to fall back to /dev/system/volroot? (Y/n)

Yet I know the volume is there (synced up on two partitions as /dev/md5), and
I verified it with the SystemRescueCD 1.1.0 iso image available from
SourceForge.  I'm stumped.  Once I resolve this I'll try to post again.

(Update on the GreenPower drive that I posted about earlier:  I yanked one of
the two out of my system and plunked down $200 to replace it with a different
brand.  I'll RMA the GreenPower unit and sell it or use it for something else.
 Both Best Buy and MicroCenter are awash with GreenPower units.  Don't buy
them.)

-rich