MythTV Setup time!

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 29 06:48:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I really dislike Biostar. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Intel all have
> quality motherboards.

Good point there...

> Myth won't really use this much RAM, and if you wait, it will
> get cheaper. I would start with 4GB.

I wanted to get 32GB and make half of it into a RAMDISK to speed up
PAR2 decoding and UNRAR-ing from usenet.  Not many mobos support 32GB
though!  But you do make another good point...

> The HDHR only captures unencrypted signals. You haven't
> mentioned what your tuning source will be -- all over-the-air
> (OTA)? A cable company? You might want to have Firewire on your
> motherboard.

I guess I just presumed my cable company (Cox) would carry an
unencrypted signal when I purchase TV from them.  Am I naive?  Let me
know.  And if so, will the firewire be necessary?  Yes, I noticed that
there is no 1394 on that mobo now that you mentioned it, so thanks!

> Get a cheap IR keyboard and a universal home-theater remote. The
> keyboard will be handy, and the remote is what turns MythTV into
> a usable system. The HDHR will be a good sensor for the remote.

Excellent points again.  Just the info I need and would have neglected
:-P  Thanks!
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
http://kristian-hermansen.blogspot.com