MythTV Setup time!

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 29 06:31:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:11:25AM -0700, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> Jarod/All :-)
>
> BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD
> Motherboard - Retail ($69.99)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138117

I really dislike Biostar. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and Intel all have
quality motherboards.

> OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
> Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail ($104.99 x
> 2 = $209.98)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298

Myth won't really use this much RAM, and if you wait, it will
get cheaper. I would start with 4GB.

> Any suggestions on this?  Anything looking bad?  I think this is a
> great setup, but I have been wrong before :-)  I went with the
> HDHomeRun because Jarod recommended it numerous times and mentioned
> during his BLU talks that it is well supported by MythTV, which I also
> verified on the project website.  I am going to get this going with
> MythBuntu Hardy (8.04.1) [x86_64] very soon.  Any suggestions are
> welcomed!!!  Thanks guys...

The HDHR only captures unencrypted signals. You haven't
mentioned what your tuning source will be -- all over-the-air
(OTA)? A cable company? You might want to have Firewire on your
motherboard.

Get a cheap IR keyboard and a universal home-theater remote. The
keyboard will be handy, and the remote is what turns MythTV into
a usable system. The HDHR will be a good sensor for the remote.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.