MythTV Setup time!

Mark J. Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 29 12:54:41 EDT 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:

> As Dan already mentioned, yeah, 8G of RAM is gross overkill for a Myth
> box. That said, my own master backend has 8G of RAM... :) (Its also the
> home file server, wilsonet.com web and mail server, etc., but even for
> all that, 8G is still overkill, but I had the memory, so I figured I'd
> use it).

I think I'd go with just 4GB for now, and hope that higher-density DIMMs
become more affordable down the road so that they next upgrade would be
12GB rather than 8.

>> AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
>> Processor Model HD985ZXAGHBOX - Retail ($169.00)
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103249
>
> Quad may or may not be overkill, depending on what all you plan to do.

Sure it might be overkill, but for $169 why not? And the AMD quads are
especially nice for server applications; they're not quite as fast as
Intel in single-processor applications but they scale better, so I would
expect a Phenom 9850 to handle a MythTV load better than an Q6600.