eepc question

Mark J. Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 12:33:09 EDT 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 11:31 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> I'm just asking for a recommendation for a decent low-end laptop. I
>> don't think I could talk her into Linux, but I would probably recommend
>> a Vaio, Thinkpad, HP, or even a Dell with XP if she could get XP
>> commercially.
>
> Ah, so my earlier suggestion of the $330 Acer Aspire One might not be
> ideal, but for a few bucks more ($400, iirc), you can get an AAO with a
> sata disk instead of an ssd, with Windows XP installed.

$350 at Micro Center with a 120GB hard disk and 3 cell battery, and they
have plenty of them. About $400 with a 160GB disk and 6 cell battery if
you can find someplace that has one; that version is scarce. If I were
going to buy an Aspire One (which I'm actually thinking about but don't
have the cash right now) I'd go with one of those versions, shrink the
XP partition to 10 or 20GB, and make it a dual-boot system that runs
Linux most of the time, keeping the XP in reserve just in case I needed
to do something that required it.

Netbooks like the Aspire One aren't the fastest systems around and the
screens are a bit small, but they're light and easy to carry so they
might be a better choice for a serious traveler than a 6-7 pound laptop,
and they're a lot cheaper than a Lenovo X300 or similar full-featured
ultralight system. The Aspire One is probably the best bargain in the
category (though it has forced down the prices of its competitors); its
only misfeature is the awkward trackpad with the buttons on the sides.
(That's not a dealbreaker for me because I hate all trackpads and use
them only when it's inconvenient to use a mouse.) But there are a lot of
options now; the various Eee models, the MSI Wind, and the ones from
Lenovo and Dell. The HP MiniNote seems overpriced and underpowered to
me, so I'd stay away from it.

Right now, the only new systems you can get with XP installed are
netbooks; XP is discontinued except for the system builder edition
(available for small white box builders of desktop systems) and the
ULCPC edition for netbooks. You can still find some old stock or
refurbished systems with XP but likely not for long.