WD MyBook II questions

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 22 11:44:07 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 7:32 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Yes, I'll check out the debricking sites. The drives have 4 partitions
> all RAID. One of those is swap. For the life of me I can't think of
> why
> one would allocate a raid swap.

Two reasons come to mind.

First is the obvious one: reliability.  RAID is all about disk
reliability.  A disk fault does not cause a system fault.  That
applies to swap, too.  If swap is on redundant disk then losing a disk
won't fault the system.

Second is performance.  Page-ins from RAID0 or RAID1 will be faster
than they would be from a single disk.  Whether this is a win or a
lose depends on what you're using your swap for.

--Rich P.