internet connection

Bill Bogstad bogstad-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 3 10:38:42 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 08:11 AM, j. daniel moylan wrote:
>> i'm running ubuntu 9.10 on several pc's and often ssh into
>> one from another.  however, if one does a "switch user", the
>> internet connection goes down, dumping any user who had
>> ssh'd into that pc.
>>
>> this didn't used to be the case, certainly not on ubuntu
>> 8.10 (not sure about 9.04).  then you could just turn on the
>> pc and the internet connection would be made whether or not
>> anyone was logged in.
>>

> Ubuntu 9.10 uses network manager as the default. Network Manager runs as
> a GUI applet. I don't have Ubuntu installed any more, but if I recall,
> there is a setting that you can adjust for it to come up at boot time.

I think Jerry is right about the cause and there may be a way to get
Network Manager to always run.  I prefer to just statically configure
the network instead.  My solution is to configure static network
connections in:

/etc/network/interfaces

If you do this you will probably also need to manually manage the contents of

/etc/resolv.conf

as well.

If you do 'man interfaces' you can find some examples of what to put
in that file.  In general, if you look up how to configure the network
on an Ubuntu server, you will find what you need to do there.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad