internet connection

Unknown unknown at unknown.invalid
Sun Apr 4 13:23:54 EDT 2010

bill bogstad wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> On 04/03/2010 08:11 AM, j. daniel moylan wrote:
>>> i'm running ubuntu 9.10 on several pc's and often ssh into
>>> one from another. =A0however, if one does a "switch user", the
>>> internet connection goes down, dumping any user who had
>>> ssh'd into that pc.

>>> this didn't used to be the case, certainly not on ubuntu
>>> 8.10 (not sure about 9.04). =A0then you could just turn on the
>>> pc and the internet connection would be made whether or not
>>> anyone was logged in.

>> Ubuntu 9.10 uses network manager as the default. Network Manager runs as
>> a GUI applet. I don't have Ubuntu installed any more, but if I recall,
>> there is a setting that you can adjust for it to come up at boot time.

> I think Jerry is right about the cause and there may be a
> way to get Network Manager to always run.

maybe so, but i've perused the man pages, looked everywhere
in /etc/NetworkManager, and have not yet found a clue.

> I prefer to just statically configure the network instead.
> My solution is to configure static network connections in:

my preference too.  always did this before, but ...

> /etc/network/interfaces

> If you do this you will probably also need to manually
> manage the contents

> /etc/resolv.conf

> as well.

no problem.

> If you do 'man interfaces' you can find some examples of
> what to put in that file.

sure, this has always been sitting there in /etc/network,
and is the way i used to handle things before the system got
so damned smart.

# interfaces.ali

  iface lo inet loopback
  auto lo

  iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wireless-essid moylan-net
  auto wlan0

  iface wlan1 inet dhcp
  wireless-essid moylan-net
  auto wlan1

this used to work.  the wireless used to come up as wlan0,
but when i changed wireless cards, ndiswrapper/udev changeed
wlan0 to wlan1 -- why, i don't know.  in any event, the
connection doesn't come up until i log in.

> In general, if you look up how to configure the network on
> an Ubuntu server, you will find what you need to do there.

i've tried, but guess i just don't know where to look.

dan

j.  daniel moylan
84 harvard ave
brookline, ma 02446-6202