iPad

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 7 12:35:23 EDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Kent Borg wrote:

> 1. Do they publish an interface that lets me write a program that talks
> to an Ipod, as though my program were Itunes?
> 2. Do they publish an interface that lets me make a device that talks to
> Itunes, as though my device were an Ipod?

I'm not sure about #1.  Absolutely #2.  For Mac, the iSync Framework (I think that's the name); and for Windows, the iTunes COM SDK.

> Palm wanted to do #2, and if there were a supported interface, I can't
> understand why they would resort to hackery.

Because it's easier to spoof Apple's ID codes than it is to write the code properly like, say, Mark/Space does.  Mark/Space is the outfit behind the Missing Sync line of products.

> I thought Apple was doing their best to lock down these two things.

It's very easy to jump to that conclusion what with all the slashdot hype.

--Rich P.