OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

John Abreau jabr-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 15:24:13 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg-fCu/yNAGv6M at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have run through half a dozen or more residential grade wifi routers in
> the past few years, and most fail in two ways:
>
>   1) Stop handing out DHCP addresses, but otherwise work, and can be
>      fixed temporarily with a reboot
>
>   2) Radio receiver stops working and there is no fix.

I've never had problems with my WRT54G, but it may be because
I don't use it for DHCP. I run a DHCP server on a CentOS box instead
of on the WRT54G, because I find it easier to configure. I use it to
assign static addresses to my Tivo, to support PXE booting, etc.

AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr-iMZfmuK6BGBxLiRVyXs8+g at public.gmane.org / YAHOO abreauj / SKYPE zusa_it_mgr
Email jabr-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9