OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

Bill Bogstad bogstad-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 15:44:16 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg-fCu/yNAGv6M at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Richard Pieri wrote:
>
>> On Mar 8, 2010, at 2:19 PM, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
>>>
>>> try it first without the cron job. from my Asus WL-500gP v2 access
>>> point/router running tomato firmware, services five wireless and many
>>> more wired clients:
>>>
>>> 14:18:04 up 466 days, 15:32, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>>>
>>> no troubles with it at all.
>>
>> Which really means that the combination of that particular hardware,
>> firmware, and your use habits make it suck less.  I'd bet a Hershey's
>> bar that if I put it on my network I'd have it wibbling in the corner
>> within a month.
>
> I have run through half a dozen or more residential grade wifi routers in
> the past few years, and most fail in two ways:
>
>   1) Stop handing out DHCP addresses, but otherwise work, and can be
>      fixed temporarily with a reboot

I think I may have figured out why I don't have problems with my
Linksys  router(5?? years old at this point).  I don't have it do
anything besides routing/NAT.   I do all my DHCP/DNS from my Linux
servers.  That way I can run bind and the ISC? dhcp server not the cut
down stuff that the vendor stuffs in the firmware.

Bill Bogstad