OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 15:50:25 EST 2010

Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> I ran like that for about a year, before I had a hankering to use MythTV
> again and converted the file server back to linux, which necessitated
> buying a standalone AP.  (Yes, I know I could massage the MythTV box into
> being an AP, but I need my home router to more reliable than my MytvTV
> machines have been.)

Huh.  I don't know why that didn't occur to me.  My server is already
running 24/7, and I could have used firestarter to set up another
intranet.  Anyone know what software I would have to use to set up a
wireless network card as an access point?

OTOH, the WNDR330 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless N Router I just bought was
only $99 ($46 after my rebates), and Staples doesn't even sell a
wireless N PCI card.

> I bought a higher-end Linksys WRTSL54GS (266MHz CPU, 8 MB flash, 32 MB RAM,
> USB) and flashed it with OpenWRT, and it worked great for about 2 years
> with no problems with hanging, dropped connections, etc.  Then either the
> radio died or something started spewing horrendous RF interference in my
> neighborhood, since the SNR dropped through the floor and the wireless
> stopped working.

I will probably load OpenWRT or DD-WRT on my existing WRT54G.