office multi-function printer recommendations

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg-SfI3QVg0eaJl57MIdRCFDg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 15 13:55:20 EDT 2010

I'm searching for a color printer/scanner/copier/fax that works well across
Mac, Windows and Linux, with document feeder and optional tray to accomodate
more than 250 sheets.  Duplex printing would be good.  Duty cycle doesn't
appear to be an issue b/c our volume is only a couple thousand/month.  It
__must__ do user accounting, and hopefully through an LDAP directory.  I've
been using a Xerox WorkCentre 7428 which is probably overkill, and fails in
regard to Mac 10.6 and linux compatibility.  In general, administering the
Xerox is just awful (needs a reboot every time you change anything, does
only one thing at a time, the web interface is awful, etc.).

It looks like Samsung makes a decent line e.g.
 CLX-6240FX

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/printers-multifunction/color-multifunction-laser-printers/CLX-6240FX/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

The sad part is that with all the open source software mentioned in their
manual, it also says that the LDAP support is limited to Active Directory.

Suggestions welcome.

Greg Rundlett