Fwd: [FSF] Why I'm rejecting your email attachment: for freedom and the good of the web!

Bill Horne ehorne-zY4eFNvK5D9If6P1QZMOBw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 31 14:51:01 EDT 2010

On Wed Mar 31 13:40 , David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> sent:

> Jerry Feldman wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'll get right on that.  THAT will help my job search!  No more
>>> sending or getting Word documents.

>> If the document doesn't need to be edited, then PDF is surely a
>> preferable way to send these sorts of things -- you are sure it looks
>> the way it is supposed to, on any system, and you avoid someone opening
>> the document, turning on comments, or starting an "undo" chain to see
>> what you *originally* wrote.
>
>... says the geek.  The recruiter says send a Word document.  Who should
>I listen to?  The best technical solution is not always the best
>real-world solution.

Ah, but does he mean "Send a document prepared in M$ Word", or does he mean
"Send a document that I can read using M$ Word"?

I've had a couple of occasions where I was out-of-range of anything but a Linux
machine, and needed to submit a resume to a headhunter, so I just made an html
document and sent that instead of a Word doc. It worked fine.

Bill Horne