[Discuss] really odd GCC bug? under Ubuntu

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon May 13 20:16:26 EDT 2013

Derek Martin wrote:
> Irrelevant to the case we're discussing.  The default file system on
> all Linux distros is ext*,

SuSE used ReiserFS as the default for a while. Most PDA-oriented distros
like Familiar use JFFS. Tomato also uses JFFS. Android prior to 2.3 uses
YAFFS. Several Linux distributions used UMSDOS. And, of course, the
first file system that Linux used was the MINIX file system; ext* came
later.

> all of which conform to standard Unix file system semantics. It was
> clear enough from context that Bill expected standard Unix file
> system semantics to be in play,

>From what I gathered, Bill expected something sensible. POSIX directory
permissions aren't sensible. They're weird. Thorough documentation
doesn't make them any less weird.

> and it would be extremely unusual to have /usr/local on something
> other than ext*, so much so that a comment to that effect would
> absolutely be warranted if it were the case.

I frequently put /usr/local on NFS volumes when deploying across large
pools of hosts. I'm not the only one to ever do this. It isn't unusual
at all.

> NO, IT IS NOT.  If the files were not there, he would STILL get a
> permission denied after chmod 0.  This conforms exactly to what I
> said.

Irrelevant. What Bill was expecting was "file not found" which GCC
passes over for optional include and library directories. What he got
was the unexpected "permission denied" error and GCC failing.

--
Rich P.