[Discuss] Upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04...can't connect to wifi with rtl8723ae driver

Tom Metro tmetro+blu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 18:44:31 EDT 2014

Randy Cole wrote:
> Sees the router, keeps trying but never connects.

Could be many things. WiFi seems to offer woefully inadequate
diagnostics for the connection and authentication process.

> Can I install the module(s) from one of the old kernels, or will that cause
> a crash?

My understanding that is compiled modules are not portable across
kernels. There may be qualifiers on that, such as it'll work, as long as
the ABI hasn't changed.

> Anybody got any ideas?

Assuming there aren't alternate driver packages that work with your
interface, I'd seek out the upstream project responsible for the driver,
see if there is a newer version, and compile it for your current kernel.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA