[Discuss] Verizon blacklisted me

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at blazemonger.com
Wed Aug 6 16:27:20 EDT 2014

On August 6, 2014, Don Levey wrote:
>Your IP shouldn't be sending email directly to the recipient's mail
>server.  If you *are* running your own mail server, you should be
>smart-hosting through Verizon's email server.

Actually, my Linux box (behind the FIOS router with the blacklisted
IP) does send all its mail through Verizon's SMTP server
(smtp.verizon.net port 465) as a relay host. Well, to be more
accurate, since postfix doesn't support outgoing email on port 465, my
mail goes from postfix to stunnel on localhost:

  # Postfix main.cf
  relayhost = [127.0.0.1]:10465

and stunnel then talks to smtp.verizon.net on port 465:

  # stunnel.conf
  [ssmtp]
  accept = 127.0.0.1:10465
  connect = smtp.verizon.net:465

But that be transparent to smtp.verizon.net, right? This setup has
worked fine for months....

>If you're not running your own server, the presence of your IP won't
>matter when sending to properly-configured mail servers.

That's what I thought too. It certainly didn't matter until last week,
when (I hypothesize) Verizon changed my router's dynamic IP address to
that of a blacklisted spammer.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com