[Discuss] Verizon blacklisted me

Don Levey lug at the-leveys.us
Wed Aug 6 16:31:40 EDT 2014

On 8/6/2014 16:27, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> On August 6, 2014, Don Levey wrote:
>> Your IP shouldn't be sending email directly to the recipient's mail
>> server.  If you *are* running your own mail server, you should be
>> smart-hosting through Verizon's email server.
>
> Actually, my Linux box (behind the FIOS router with the blacklisted
> IP) does send all its mail through Verizon's SMTP server
> (smtp.verizon.net port 465) as a relay host. Well, to be more
> accurate, since postfix doesn't support outgoing email on port 465, my
> mail goes from postfix to stunnel on localhost:
>
>   # Postfix main.cf
>   relayhost = [127.0.0.1]:10465
>
> and stunnel then talks to smtp.verizon.net on port 465:
>
>   # stunnel.conf
>   [ssmtp]
>   accept = 127.0.0.1:10465
>   connect = smtp.verizon.net:465
>
> But that be transparent to smtp.verizon.net, right? This setup has
> worked fine for months....

That should be.

>> If you're not running your own server, the presence of your IP won't
>> matter when sending to properly-configured mail servers.
>
> That's what I thought too. It certainly didn't matter until last week,
> when (I hypothesize) Verizon changed my router's dynamic IP address to
> that of a blacklisted spammer.

I saw someone else (Richard Pieri) postulate that login names with a dot
in them were all throwing this error.  Does your login name have a dot?

Changing your IP address wouldn't make that difference unless the
Verizon smtp server was using one of those blacklists for *outgoing*
mail.  Off the top of my head that seems like it might not be a good
choice, and wouldn't think that is the main culprit.
 -Don