[Discuss] shell access on consumer devices running Linux

Tom Metro tmetro+blu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:01:52 EST 2014

John Abreau wrote:
> It has no option to ssh into a command line? That seems odd; pretty much
> every embedded device I've ever owned was based on Linux and had an option
> to enable ssh.

I guess you've been pretty fortunate. I don't think I've ever bought a
Linux device - IP cameras, routers, video streaming boxes - that came
with factory firmware that provided any sort of shell access.

(All but the IP cameras got 3rd party firmware loaded onto them, which
did provide shell access. I'm still waiting for the 3rd party firmware
movement to develop for IP cameras.)

Android devices, where (non-root) shell access is as easy as installing
an app, is probably the closest thing I've experienced.

Of course the situation is changing. You can buy routers that come with
open source firmware now. More Kickstarter projects and devices coming
out of the maker movement acknowledge that the buyer might want to
tinker, and facilitate shell access.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro