[Discuss] Redundant array of inexpensive servers: clustering?

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Mon Mar 31 11:26:21 EDT 2014

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Hehhehe - No.  The goal is mash the power button, with the results described
> above, while using only 2 servers and free software.   ;-)

Well, if the free or low-cost software existed to make it work well, I'd
eagerly pony up to pay the electric bill running a third server.  My point
is--there have been essentially no advances in the software to operate this,
commercial /or/ free, during the 2000s by anyone other than the paid staff at
companies like AWS, Google, and Microsoft.  Even VMware's solution is about a
decade old by now, and its customers (like my employer) are fleeing en masse
from private VMware clusters to AWS despite the steep price.

-rich