[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Sat Nov 1 17:07:06 EDT 2014

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> suggested:
> [On encryption] I disagree in the general case. Anything that
> adds unnecessary  complexity to a backup system is a failure
> begging to bite you.

I resemble that remark. :-) By that I mean I've often been criticized for
embracing complexity. Such criticisms are red herrings; the average Android
phone is among the most-complicated devices invented by mankind, and its
complexity goes well beyond the "need" of the average user, yet it's also
among the top-selling products of mankind's history.

My recommendation remains, for everyone: get in the encryption habit. Make it
your normal procedure, whether you have a "need" for it or not, and someday
you'll be really thankful that your data and/or that of your employer didn't
fall into the wrong hands.

It's complicated under the covers, but (like a mobile phone) the user
interface is easy: a password challenge (something you know) and a key
(something you have)--2 factors.  Don't forget your password, and learn to
keep your keys protected/secure.

-rich