[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:14:47 EDT 2014

On 11/1/2014 5:07 PM, Rich Braun wrote:
> I resemble that remark. :-) By that I mean I've often been criticized for
> embracing complexity. Such criticisms are red herrings; the average Android
> phone is among the most-complicated devices invented by mankind, and its
> complexity goes well beyond the "need" of the average user, yet it's also
> among the top-selling products of mankind's history.

And you've completely missed the point. I didn't write "anything that
adds complexity". I wrote "anything that adds unnecessary complexity".
If you maintain good physical security then there is no need to encrypt
your devices and backups. Encrypting devices and backups only makes
sense if you are unwilling or unable to maintain physical security, but
if that's the case then maybe you should think twice about what you
store on your easily lost or stolen or seized gadgets.

--
Rich P.