[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Tue Nov 18 13:09:20 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) <blu at nedharvey.com>
wrote:

> > From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> > bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Gillen
> >
> > Not everyone can have a bank vault to put their computers in.
>
> Even fewer can put their backup media into a locked vault which is inside
> their secure server closet and then transported, still locked to the bank
> vault, which is then locked during the transport into the safe box.
>
> Which is a silly way of stating the obvious:  Even if you have physically
> secure locations, you still have to unsecurely transport your media to
> those locations.
>
> And a zillion other pointless scenarios, that are pointless to get into.

I'll mention one aspect that wasn't mentioned thus far, and basically makes
this discussion moot:  Insurance underwriters are now requiring that
customers encrypt backups.  So, if you want business insurance (general
liability, I'm not even talking about a "data breach" policy), then you
will encrypt your backups.

Greg Rundlett
http://eQuality-Tech.com <http://equality-tech.com/>
http://freephile.org