[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:41:51 EST 2014

On 11/18/2014 1:09 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> So, if you want business insurance (general
> liability, I'm not even talking about a "data breach" policy), then you
> will encrypt your backups.

Assuming you need business insurance and this is a requirement for your
policy then by all means encrypt your backups. BUT! This isn't
encryption for the sake of encryption. It isn't an idealistic "encrypt
everything and the world will be better" philosophy. It's a specific
reason to take specific action. That is, it's a specific threat (loss of
benefits) with a specific defense (encrypt backups per the insurer's
requirements).

--
Rich P.